AnsweredAssumed Answered

How Do I "Unpublish" Multiple Items in Canvas - esp. Modules?

Question asked by Michael Maguire on Feb 2, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 3, 2019 by Kona Jones

When I build a new semester's Canvas course, I find it helpful and efficient to use the, "Import Course Content" feature, to bring forward an earlier semesters' iteration of Canvas features of that same course.  Especially helpful to me, primarily a "Modules" user, is to copy a prior course's Modules.

Here's what I haven't figured out - and I'd welcome any Canvas community assistance with:

• Can I import Modules from a previous semester's Canvas course in an efficient way that they can be imported as "Unpublished?"  .... more:
  • A tedious work-around I'm currently using is to open the prior semester's Canvas course and, Module-by-Module, unpublish each Module and its contents.
  • I usually have four courses per-semester, with (at least) 20-30 modules per-course.  It seems so inefficient for me to spend half-a-day (it seems) click, click, clicking to "Unpublish" Modules.
  • I've learned the hard way that I can't simply Import Modules "as is."  If the Module is Published, students in the current course are quickly confused when they access those materials, and the assignments, dates, Pages, etc. are all from a different semester!  Too often, I don't have the luxury of the time I need prior to the semester, when the entire course is "Unpublished," to take care of this detailed importing.

Thanks for any help,

Michael Maguire, Faculty Associate

University of Wisconsin-Madison

Outcomes