Who is using the Box integration/LTI with Canvas? Doing some research and looking for a list of institutions that are actively using Box and Canvas together. We're currently testing the water. Thanks in advance!
Adrienne Gauthier I know of one school in the northeast (who is still in Implementation) who uses the Box LTI. I'll reach out to their CSM Laura Sellers to see if they'd be willing to be part of the group and provide some insight.
Thanks! That would very helpful as we try to anticipate the benefits and the gotchas.
My institution is the one referenced to be using Box integration with Canvas. What specific question(s) do you have?
hi Shane --- thanks!
Here are some questions we cannot find answers to. Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if it's easier:
1. No one at Canvas can tell us who the integration person is at Box. Nor can our CSM for Box. We brought the idea to the Box CSM "hey, let's look at the Canvas integration" and he said there wasn't one. We were like, "Um, nope. Look here:" and referenced the little documentation we can find and that it's in the App Center. Do you have a contact name for an integration person at Box? If we are installing at Account level it needs to have a security review and all sorts of legal stuff...and we need that person.
2. We want to know if Box created the integration or if some 3rd party did and put it into the App Center. It looks to be Box, but, we need to make sure.
3. We understand there is zero authentication built into the Box app itself, that, it's really just a 'frame' and easy passthrough enabled by Canvas users already being logged into Canvas and already being authenticated with our SSO. Are we understanding correctly? We need to know exactly what data is being passed through from Canvas to Box and back (i.e. security review).
4. Through testing, we found that the profile/sharing setting in Box rule what can be seen and accessed in Canvas. For example, if a professor has their Box folder locked down to 'Collaborators only' then the students can't access the file unless they are specifically listed as Collaborators in Box. Correct? So that being said, faculty have to have their course folder in Box as 'anyone with a link' or 'anyone at my institution with a link' --- Correct? We're curious if there are ways to auto-import a course roster from Canvas into the Box Collaborators list. We think no...but want to know what others are doing
5. Thinking about #4 above, are there any policies on FERPA/privacy and/or copyright if faculty have to have the folder as 'anyone/institution with a link'? It feels like a wide fuzzy gray line.
6. Any lessons or observations you have learned about faculty/student use and issues or highlights of awesomeness?
THANKS! Again - feel free to take any of these answers to my email.
Adrienne, I will email you offline but they easiest answer to most your questions is that we have an enterprise account for Box here at UNH. We have a local Box administrator that handles all integration, but I'll provide more details offline.
thanks! We also have an enterprise Box instance we are currently piloting, etc. and I'm essentially the integration person in our group
Question about how Canvas uses Box - When you go to files, and open any file, is the little Box logo in the top left an indication that the files are saved in box somewhere (that potentially an instructor could access directly)?
Or, does this simply indicate that Box helped to create Canvas's file storage setup? Thanks!
Box is the backend file storage system for Canvas. This is why you are seeing that logo.
Shane - Thanks for your explanation! Would an instructor be able to access the box side to upload and download files from there?
There are two ways that one can access course files: from the course OR from the Files location from the user profile section (account). You won't be able to login to Box to access files.
hi Jessie - Nope
There is a Box/Canvas LTI however that hooks up to your institution's Box instance. Which, is different than the Box running behind Canvas.
Retrieving data ...