Andy Ruina

Feedback on Interface

Discussion created by Andy Ruina on Feb 12, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 13, 2019 by nr2522@columbia.edu

I find Canvas really hard to use.  Sometimes, with help, there are easy ways to do things that I found hard.  But it takes too much effort or help to find those ways.

Even to find this place to give feedback took the professional Canvas Help employee about 10 minutes.

So:

1) On the main user page, not a separate www site, there should be a place for quick suggestions or complaints.

2) Canvas should work hard to make the user interface easier.  To do this you have to literally watch lots of new users struggle.

As is, there is no way that I am not mad at myself for not just, say, putting all my course material on a google drive folder.   I've spent at least 20 hours on things that would have been fast and easy.

Some examples: 

* Making a folder with files in it that I can just upload to, now and again, and have the students find there, without lots of clicking and menus.  I should be able to just drag and drop a file from my computer into a folder on Canvas.  Or at least a special category of folder.  And then it should be visible to students with no more clicks and menus and so on.

* Having a home page that doesn't have "assignments" at the bottom.

* Making assignments in a way that, say I get a bit behind, doesn't involve pushing things down one assignment at a time for the rest of the semester.

Thanks.  

-----------------

OH MY GOD!!!  Even figuring out how to post this little thing is turning into a chore!!!!
I have to pick a "Publish Location!"  What is that?????? I just guessed "InstructureCon".  That is probably not appropriate.  But I don't know what _is_ appropriate.  HELP!

Outcomes