AnsweredAssumed Answered

Weekly discussion assignment with multiple question prompts?

Question asked by Luke Caldwell on Feb 22, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 22, 2019 by Eric Whitmer

I have professors (particularly nursing professors) who are inserting three discussion question prompts into one weekly discussion assignment. The students need to answer question 1, 2 and 3 in their single discussion post. Knowing nursing students, these assignments could be easily over 500 words for each post! 

From an instructional design perspective, what is the best advice for discussion questions: One question, two questions or up to five questions!?!?

I would prefer to connect one discussion question per assignment. This could include:

1. Creating three separate discussions each with a singular question. 

2. Creating two separate discussion assignments and create a third assignment or reflection that is submitted to teacher only.

3. Choose only one or two of those discussion questions and create only one or two separate discussion assignments and eliminate the third discussion question entirely.

What would more seasoned ID'ers recommend? Also, I would love to see data/research to support why inserting multiple questions into one discussion assignment is a bad idea, does anyone have any links? Can someone direct me to research showing why it is not in the best interest of the course writer to create multiple questions within one discussion?

Many thanks!

Outcomes