AnsweredAssumed Answered

Migrating Quizzes that Use Pools of Questions from Blackboard to Canvas

Question asked by Laura Bray on Feb 26, 2019
Latest reply on Jul 16, 2019 by Dan Grilley

MY QUESTION: IS THERE ANOTHER WAY OF DOING THE FOLLOWING PROCESS?

I am trying to migrate a course that has quizzes among other assessments from Blackboard to Canvas. My question is about how to migrate quizzes that use pool of questions and random blocks in Blackboard to Canvas. My goal is to have quizzes on Canvas linked to a question bank from where they can pool questions - like they did in Blackboard.

I have been running into issues along the process. I have tried to import in a couple of different ways:

Scenario 1:

Content Type: Blackboard 6/7/8/9 export.zip file

Source: my zip file from Blackboard
Default Question bank: select question bank
Content: All content
Options: unchecked

Following this process I run into the issue of obtaining a 10-question quiz as a 190-question quiz.  

Scenario 2:

Content: Select specific content

Import

Select content: one quiz (first try) or both one quiz and question banks (second try on a separate import)

As a result, I still obtain the same outcome of scenario 1.

At the moment I import quizzes using the following procedure to obviate the above issues:

Content: Select specific content

Import

Select content: question banks (I click on the arrow that opens up a drop-down list); I then select the questions I want.

Once the import is done, I go to the question banks and reorganize them; I put all the questions of multiple question banks in one question bank that I label with a new name - for convenience the same name of my new quiz. Next, I go to edit my new quiz. I then select edit/questions/New Question Group. I create the group, assign number of question and points to the quiz, and then I check on I link to a Question Bank – I link it to my new question bank that I have just created.

This seems to be the best way to do it at the moment. I am wondering if there is another way.

IS THERE ANOTHER WAY OF DOING THIS PROCESS?

Outcomes