AnsweredAssumed Answered

Student says quiz disconnected; Canvas shows wrong answers

Question asked by Sara Brown on Feb 27, 2019
Latest reply on Feb 28, 2019 by Michael Zimmerman

I have a student who claims that his internet disconnected after question 8, which is why he got a 46.66% on the test, and he wants to be given a chance to re-take it. Looking over his quiz, Canvas shows all questions were answered, but everything after question 8 was just wrong, and the action log shows a long string of "Stopped viewing the Canvas page..." and "Resumed" messages before answering the last few questions. My immediate thought is that he is lying about the internet disconnection and simply didn't do very well on the test, as I assume that every question after the internet disconnected would simply say "No answer" or something like it. But before I take him to task over it, I wanted to make sure that there isn't some kind of glitch where Canvas might have generated answers after a period of inactivity while his internet was stalled.

BTW, I do allow students to use their e-books on the tests, so I'm not necessarily concerned about whether the "Stopped viewing the Canvas page" message is because he was looking at another page or if it appeared because of periods of inactivity on Canvas caused by the technical difficulties.

Outcomes