I'm teaching a 2nd year Koine Greek class this semester, and I would like students to self-report effort (study time) outside of class for a given week.
This is what I'm envisioning, but I don't know the best way to approach it. I would like them to self-report their efforts in 3 areas:
1. How much time did you spend studying Greek outside of class this week?
- more than 4 hours (worth 5 points)
- 2-4 hours (worth 3 points)
- less than 2 hours (worth 0 points)
2. How diligent were you in studying/reviewing Greek vocabulary this week?
- I studied/reviewed both PAST and PRESENT Greek vocabulary (worth 5 points)
- I studied/review only PRESENT Greek vocabulary (worth 3 points)
- I did not study/review Greek vocabulary this week (worth 0 points)
3. How diligent were you in doing translations from Greek this week?
- I did ALL my assigned translation, and kept a notebook of words I did not know, including parsings (worth 5 points)
- I did SOME of my assigned translation, and kept a PARTIAL notebook of unknown words (worth 3 points)
- I did not do assigned Greek translation this week (worth 0 points)
That way, students could receive a maximum of 15 points or a minimum of 0 points, based on their self-reported effort in the course.
Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation on the best way to approach this? I have tried to create a quiz, or a graded survey quiz, but haven't found the right combination.
I have also toyed with the idea of embedding a Google Form that asks for that data. If I do it that way, I would have to check the form, and manually enter point values for the ASSIGNMENT.
I was hoping I might figure out a way to automate this. I WANT TO HAVE STUDENTS DO THIS SELF-REPORTING/EVALUATION EVERY WEEK OF THE SEMESTER.
I appreciate any help you can give me. I have created a RUBRIC that reflects these point values, but really don't know how to set it up.