AnsweredAssumed Answered

Rubric/Quiz that assigns differing amounts of points for students' self-reported effort

Question asked by David Fish on Aug 12, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 17, 2015 by Canvas Admin

I'm teaching a 2nd year Koine Greek class this semester, and I would like students to self-report effort (study time) outside of class for a given week.

This is what I'm envisioning, but I don't know the best way to approach it. I would like them to self-report their efforts in 3 areas:

1. How much time did you spend studying Greek outside of class this week?

• more than 4 hours (worth 5 points)
  • 2-4 hours (worth 3 points)
  • less than 2 hours (worth 0 points)

2. How diligent were you in studying/reviewing Greek vocabulary this week?

• I studied/reviewed both PAST and PRESENT Greek vocabulary (worth 5 points)
  • I studied/review only PRESENT Greek vocabulary (worth 3 points)
  • I did not study/review Greek vocabulary this week (worth 0 points)

3.   How diligent were you in doing translations from Greek this week?

• I did ALL my assigned translation, and kept a notebook of words I did not know, including parsings (worth 5 points)
  • I did SOME of my assigned translation, and kept a PARTIAL notebook of unknown words (worth 3 points)
  • I did not do assigned Greek translation this week (worth 0 points)

That way, students could receive a maximum of 15 points or a minimum of 0 points, based on their self-reported effort in the course.

Does anyone have a suggestion or recommendation on the best way to approach this? I have tried to create a quiz, or a graded survey quiz, but haven't found the right combination.

I have also toyed with the idea of embedding a Google Form that asks for that data. If I do it that way, I would have to check the form, and manually enter point values for the ASSIGNMENT.

I was hoping I might figure out a way to automate this. I WANT TO HAVE STUDENTS DO THIS SELF-REPORTING/EVALUATION EVERY WEEK OF THE SEMESTER.

I appreciate any help you can give me. I have created a RUBRIC that reflects these point values, but really don't know how to set it up.

Thanks!

Outcomes