Importing Canvas Data into SQL 2012

Jump to solution
tess_bond1
Community Explorer

Let me start by saying I am not in any way, shape or form an experienced DB admin, although I can stumble and fumble my way through a lot of things due to my 30 years of experience in IT and programming. We have a server set up with SQL 2012 and want to download Canvas Data and import it into the database so we can build and run some custom queries against the data.

In learning my way through this project, I have managed to get the CanvasDataCLI tool working, but trying to manually import the unpacked .txt files generates errors, or I get a success message but there isn't any data where I expect it to be. I could very easily be doing something wrong that is causing this process to fail.

I tried using CanvasDataViewer, and I have it working to the point that it will download all the files but nothing gets unpacked/unzipped and imported. I thought I had it fixed by correcting an oddly specific issue in the machine config files, but... no. The queries to download the data and import the data both indicate that they ran successfully but there is no data in the unpack folder, and no data in the database.

Next, I tried setting up the CanvasDataLoader. That process failed when I tried to do the "cargo build --release" step because it couldn't find the Visual C++ tool that I'd just installed.

I have no idea what to try next or how to fix any of these processes. Does anyone have any suggestions to point me in the right direction? I'm hoping I've done something really stupid to prevent CanvasDataViewer from working and that it would be an easy fix to get that option up and running because it seems that it would need the least amount of intervention once it gets going.

1 Solution

Thank you for the response. We're a Windows shop, so no Linux servers.

I was able to figure out why CanvasDataViewer wasn't working. It was looking for 7-zip (used to unpack the downloaded data) in Program Files. I had it installed in a different location. I made an adjustment to where CanvasDataViewer was looking for 7-zip and I was able to get the process running and importing our data.

View solution in original post