AnsweredAssumed Answered

Change to course search functionality

Question asked by Tracey DeLillo Expert on Aug 17, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 3, 2018 by Tracey DeLillo

We recently noticed a change when searching for courses. Previously, if you searched for a course using the exact course name (for example, ENGL-1302-125), you got a list of courses with that name (we re-use sections, and have been on Canvas for 3.5 years, so even a search that precise can yield multiple hits). Now when we use the same search, we get anything that starts with ENGL-1302, and the most relevant results aren't even at the top of the list:

I submitted a ticket and was told to add a space to the end, to get only ENGL-1302-125 courses. And that, without the space, the search is working "as intended", revealing all the courses that a person MIGHT be searching for if they didn't know the exact section. After a lot of back and forth, where I explained that this was a step backward, and could not get anyone to acknowledge that this is a recent development, I got the "Please submit this as a feature request" end game.

Can someone save my sanity by confirming that you didn't used to have to put a space at the end of a search string to execute a search for an exact match? Keep in mind I'm talking about course search only. User searches have always returned imprecise results.

Outcomes