Layne Heiny

How are you handling the importance of student feedback?

Discussion created by Layne Heiny on Apr 13, 2019
Latest reply on Apr 14, 2019 by Bobby Pedersen

Feedback is vital to improvement. In my view, a student may still require guidance even if the student answers a question correctly on an assessment. This is because the student may have guessed or was uneasy about the answer. The feedback area of a question deserves just as much attention as the question itself. It’s an opportunity to help solidify an answer or redirect a student’s thoughts. 

How do you handle the feedback area for a question?

My latest attempt is to add an extension question for a correct answer and a video walkthrough, embed lecture slides, or redirect students to a worksheet or Canvas page. Here is an example:

Of course, all of this takes time to enter and maintain but the feedback area is just as vital to a student as the question. 

Have you tried adding misconceptions? Have you figured out if there is “too much” added? Have you gone beyond “good job” and received recognition for it from students?

A sticking point for me is the general feedback. Maybe a quick chart showing the range of students getting the question right or wrong would help students not feel bad for missing a question. Another thought is to simply add a motivational quote. What do you include?

Outcomes