AnsweredAssumed Answered

REST API CURL How Do I Get sub_accounts recursively

Question asked by Larry Robertson on Apr 19, 2019
Latest reply on May 13, 2019 by James Jones

I am new to the Canvas API and I can't seem to get CURL to return anything within a particular sub account.

The sub accounts I'm dealing contain courses which have been imported from a CVS file.

So far this is what I have that is working:

curl -H "Authorization: Bearer <access token>" "/api/v1/accounts/1/sub_accounts"

The following JSON is returned, to simplify I will only show the first item:

[{"id":2,"name":"Canvas Demo Courses","workflow_state":"active","parent_account_id":1,"root_account_id":1,"uuid":"q4CGtwHqU35Nw9U2dr4HtOa7TWKnKJezee33cWnG","default_storage_quota_mb":10000,"default_user_storage_quota_mb":50,"default_group_storage_quota_mb":5000,"default_time_zone":"America/New_York","sis_account_id":"canvas-sdemo","sis_import_id":1,"integration_id":null}]

Here a snip-it from the documentation that I am trying to figure out how to code using curl I don't know how to specify recursive=true on the command line because the example doesn't show how.

Get the sub-accounts of an account AccountsController#sub_accounts
GET /api/v1/accounts/:account_id/sub_accounts
List accounts that are sub-accounts of the given account.

Request Parameters:
recursive
optional
If true, the entire account tree underneath

this account will be returned (though still paginated). If false, only direct sub-accounts of this account will be returned. Defaults to false.

Example Request:
curl https://<canvas>/api/v1/accounts/<account_id>/sub_accounts \
-H 'Authorization: Bearer <token>'

My Goal

Again to simplify things I'm not concerned with pagination I will handle all of that later, so let me stick with the item shown above.

1. From within the Canvas Admin Tab if I click on Sub-Accounts I am presented with a list of courses.
  2. If I click on the settings gear next to one of the listed courses I get an HTML form page that contains the Course Details; Name, Course Code, Blueprint Course, Time Zone, SIS ID, Subaccount...  This is the data I need to GET I would like to be able to edit this data and then PUT or update the changes that I make programmatically.

Questions:

1. Can anyone get me started by first telling me if this is even possible?
  2. And then by showing me how to implement recursive from the command line?

Thanks

Outcomes