Course/Enrollment status via the API

Jump to solution
jhoward6
Community Novice

Using the REST API we have integrated with Canvas from a website and successfully created canvas students based on the user data from the website and enrolled them on a course.

The website currently integrates with another LMS course provider and as part of that integration we report on the students progress within the website back-end so the website admins do not have to switch between both systems. I am able to retrieve some data for each student such as the total study time and the last study date but I am struggling to find out how to get the following data from the Canvas REST API to hopefully match the data we could get from the other LMS provider:

1. Is there such a thing as the first study date i.e. the date a student first started the course. We can use the enrollment create date but that may not be the exact date / time that a person actually started the course.

2. We would also like to report on the status of a students progression through the course ideally having the following statuses:

Not Started: Enrolled but not started the course

In Progress: Once the student starts the course

Failed: Failed the course

Passed: Passed the course

For these status I wondered if there was an overall status indicator recorded against the enrollment record but I could not see anything obvious in the API docs or could anybody recommend a way we could derive the status from the data in the API.

I am pretty new to the API and Canvas so if I can provide any other information please do let me know.

Thanks.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Thank you  @James ‌ that is most helpful.

Yes our courses are grouped into modules within which some have quizzes and then a final quiz/exam with retakes so I think a good starting point will be to look at the list modules that you mentioned and the quizzes.

I had seen the page views mentioned in another thread as we were trying to determine if the student was using the app or the website but that seemed a bit hit or miss for that information. However I will look at that data to try and get the first study date based on the information you have shared.

I'll post back our findings once we have had a look. Thanks again.

View solution in original post

0 Likes