Quizzes Don't Update when Question Edited in Question Bank

Jump to solution
repp
Community Novice

When I update a question in a question bank, why does it not update that question in my existing quizzes? Is there a work around to make this happen.

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@repp ,

This is the way Canvas designed it.

If you always want the most current version that is in the question bank to be delivered, then you need to link to the question bank rather than finding the questions and including them in the quiz. Don't rush to do that without reading the rest of this, though.

If you want to start with a publisher's or departmental question bank, but possibly alter it for your class, then you'll need to find the questions and include them directly in the quiz, rather than linking.  Don't rush to do that without reading the rest of this.

Linking has possible issues regarding back-end analysis and getting the questions that were delivered out. It can be done, but it's not as easy as questions that are placed into the quiz. I almost never link directly to a bank but find the questions and include them on the exam. Regrades cannot be done on questions linked to question banks, but they can be on questions included directly in the quiz. Your workflow may be different and you'll have to decide which features are most important.

For the time being, what you can do is delete the question from the quiz and re-find it from the question bank. This can cautiously be done even if students have already taken the quiz, although Canvas may throw up some warnings to make sure you know what you're doing. Students who have already been delivered a quiz will not get the updated version, it will only affect those students who haven't yet started the quiz. For this reason, it may be that you want to update the quiz after everyone has completed it. There may be some regrading implications of doing this as well 

Here are a couple of links in the Canvas Instructor Guide. Be especially sure to read the part at the top with the blue background to understand the implications and limitations of each method.

View solution in original post