Does anyone know how to reformat a CSV file so that it does not produce the 'UTF-8' format error when importing it through SIS?
Here's how to correct this issue using notepad++ (with thanks to Mia McElroy for providing this!):
Joseph, greetings! I'm not sure of the answer to this question, but I'm sharing it with the Canvas Developers group to see if they can help!
I used to think "a CSV is a CSV", but this turns out to not be the case. I often create CSV files in Excel. I have at least four different CSV options available when saving in my version of Excel. I find that the one labelled "CSV (Comma delimited) (*.csv)" plays nice with Canvas.
Should just work... I'd probably have to see the conditions of your file to determine issues.
Do you have the error Canvas returned?
user_id,login_id,password,first_name,last_name,email,statusE101,E101-DISABLED,,Test,"Tést",,activeE102,E102-DISABLED,,Tést,"W W",,activeE103,E103-DISABLED,,Tést,W Wza,,active
edit: of course Jive ate it.
It displays 'Invalid UTF-8' but I think there is way to remove the formatting using notepad++, this strips out any extra formatting hiding in the background so that all is left is a clean CSV and then it can be imported without the error.
Thanks for your reply but unfortunately it doesn't resolve the format issue, if copying and pasting any data (data that contains the wrong formatting that causes UTF-8 error) into an excel sheet then saving it as the CSV it will still show the UTF-8 error when importing it.
I think there is way to remove the formatting using notepad++, this strips out any extra formatting hiding in the background so that it can be imported without the error.
I found Joe's advice to work here. I had been using csv files with no issue until now. Then it finally broke with the ATF-8 error message. I checked and checked and could find nothing out of the ordinary to remedy the fault, that is until I followed the advice proffered by Joe in this space. 330 lines of text went in sweetly with only 7 further error messages about status error. Sure enough it was.
For what it's worth, I did put in a request for help through Canvas Support. The advice came back to save the CSV file as MS DOS CSV. Haven't tried it yet but that could be a quicker an even solution.
Retrieving data ...