Waitlisted students in Canvas?

Jump to solution
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

I have a question for all of the fellow admins here (higher-ed)...  What does everyone do with their students on a waitlist for a course?  Do you put them in canvas during your add/drop period, or do you wait until they are officially registered for the class before giving them Canvas access?

We have been only transferring officially registered students (not ones on a waitlist), but some faculty and department chairs thing we should also add waitlisted students, as not to disadvantage them if they get into the class a week or two late.

I know this will be a technical challenge for our IT team to modicy our SIS integration scripts, but I'm more curious about the policy side around this question.  Any discussion would be appreciated (I don't want to mention whether I'm for or against having waitlisted people in Canvas, as not to have this discussion only go in one direction or other).

Thanks!
-Chris

1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

chriscas

Our policy is to not add them until registration has added them. the reasoning is that if these student do not ultimately get registered into the course, they might feel like they were duped into committing time and work for a course they are subsequently removed from. Also, often a large waitlist will result in a new section and the students would need to be moved. This is easier for us, because most of the final decisions are made before the term starts.

View solution in original post