Can you Create Two Deadlines in Discussion Post?

Jump to solution
u0806611
Community Member

Can you create two deadlines in a discussion post?

2 Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@u0806611 , greetings! There is no direct way to add two due dates for a discussion in the discussion settings. What I've seen some people do is either set the due date as either the initial-post due date OR the follow-up due date and then add an "event" in the Calendar for the second due date reminder. 

After trying this a few different ways, what seems to work best for me and my students is to set the discussion due date as the initial post due date (Ex: Thursday). Then in the calendar, I add an event that is the for the follow-up due date (Ex: Sunday). In addition, in the syllabus, discussion directions, etc I explain that there are two due dates and go into more detail on what is required for each due date. The first few weeks I also send out a reminder email to students about the two due dates and overall this seems to work and students catch on quickly and don't have any problems.

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post

VTRockDoc
Community Novice

Here's what has worked for me in Canvas--I have an original post deadline of Thursday and then their responses to classmates must be completed by Sunday of the same week.

If you don't want to check students' original response deadlines to ensure they're completing their first posts on time, you can set the "Due" date as the first deadline for students' original response to the discussion, and then set the "Until" date as the final deadline. Then the discussion will automatically close after the Until date, plus you can set it to auto-deduct late points for any first posts past the Due date. I have been doing that and it works great. If you need to set an extension for a student or reopen the discussion for any reason, you can always edit the discussion and click "Add" at the bottom and then select the student and new due/until dates.

View solution in original post