Jen Owens

Fill-in-Multiple-Blanks quiz question error “text is too long”.

Discussion created by Jen Owens on Aug 20, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 22, 2019 by Jen Owens

Hello-My school has moved from Blackboard to Canvas and while most of my test banks moved over correctly, I am having trouble getting some of my longer, multiple fill in the blank questions to import. Specifically, I get an error that says “text is too long”. Further research of this issue suggests the text is larger than 16kb. Some of my questions have images or small tables with data and I have to delete nearly everything to get under 16kb. For example, to get one ~6x6 table with basic text/math symbols in it (and nothing else, just a single table) into the question required me to delete nearly all the text within the table. I find this to be crazy. It worked fine in Blackboard but Canvas seems to critically restrict the amount of information I can display. 

Is there anything I can do to increase the file size or decrease my file sizes without deleting key information?

More information: 

This is in a stats class where we are doing hypothesis tests where each question has several parts (e.g., 10 steps unique to each question). To build the class/tests the way I want, I build pools where students will get one of several different types of questions that need to be long answer that stay nested together, this is why I am stuck using multiple fill in the blank. 

Pool #1: (student will get one of these randomly)

Question 1 or

Question 2 or 

Question 3

Pool #2: (student will also get one of these randomly)

Question 1 or

Question 2 or 

Question 3

etc.

Outcomes