Screen-capture in Canvas??

Jump to solution
shyam_barr
Community Novice

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, so I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct spot... BUT, I've discovered that there is no screen-capture option when providing feedback for student assignments. In speaking with the Canvas support, although Canvas studio may be an option, it is only available for Windows and I'm a Mac user... any advice?

Shyam

0 Likes
1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @shyam_barr  and  Welcome to the Canvas Community! I use a Mac myself; I generally record screencasts using TechSmith's Snagit, which allows me to automatically upload the recording to screencast.com. I can then provide the student with the URL to the screencast.

Since Snagit has a cost associated with it, you might want to check out these free options for Mac https://business.tutsplus.com/articles/best-screen-recording-capture-software-for-mac-2018--cms-3110... 

In addition, if you're using Chrome, you should be able to find some free screencasting add-ons for the browser. Here's one that others have used successfully: Screencastify - Screen Video Recorder - Chrome Web Store 

Here's a current conversation that might give you additional ideas: Using screencast videos to give feedback 

And to clarify, Canvas Studio is compatible with the MacOS as well as Windows—so if your school has purchased Canvas Studio, How do I record a Canvas Studio screen capture video in a course? might well be the best option.  (The reference to Windows in the blue box only pertains to institutions wishing to bulk-install the screen installer tool on multiple computers at once.)

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

0 Likes