AnsweredAssumed Answered

Cannot update sms confirmation notification preference with API

Question asked by Jeremy Sias on Aug 30, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 4, 2019 by Jeremy Sias

I'm trying to update notification preferences for an email communication channel using the API. There are some 90+ notification preferences, and the update command is working for all except for confirm_sms_communication_channel

The sample below succeeds in updating preferences for the fields used.

The code I'm using is C#

static async void updatePreferences(string sis_user_id, string channel_id)
{          
string requestUri = $"api/v1/users/self/communication_channels/{channel_id}/notification_preferences?as_user_id=sis_user_id:{sis_user_id}";
  FormUrlEncodedContent content = new FormUrlEncodedContent(new[]
    {
      new KeyValuePair<string, string>("notification_preferences[new_announcement][frequency]", "immediately"),
      new KeyValuePair<string, string>("notification_preferences[assignment_due_date_changed][frequency]", "weekly"),
      new KeyValuePair<string, string>("notification_preferences[confirm_email_communication_channel][frequency]", "immediately"), "immediately"),
});
   HttpResponseMessage response = await client.PutAsync(
                requestUri, content);
   string message = await response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync();
   Console.WriteLine(message);
   if (response.IsSuccessStatusCode)
     {Console.WriteLine("Success");}
    else
     {Console.WriteLine("Fail");}
}

The result of this function is a success:

{"notification_preferences":[{"frequency":"immediately","notification":"new_announcement","category":"announcement"},{"frequency":"weekly","notification":"assignment_due_date_changed","category":"due_date"},{"frequency":"immediately","notification":"confirm_email_communication_channel","category":"registration"}]}  Success

It is also a success if I include the 90 or so other notification preferences.

However, if I include the confirm_sms_communication_channel as part of the key value pair it breaks the whole thing

new KeyValuePair<string, string>("notification_preferences[confirm_sms_communication_channel][frequency]", "immediately")

When adding the above KeyValuePair the result is that "The specified resource does not exist."

example of error message

I know for a fact that it should exist because when you get a full list of notification_preferences it is included in the response. Below is a fraction of that result.

{
  "frequency": "immediately",
  "notification": "confirm_email_communication_channel",
  "category": "registration"
},
{
  "frequency": "immediately",
  "notification": "confirm_sms_communication_channel",
  "category": "registration"
},

I also tried updating the sms notification preference using the single call format, which works for any other notification type.

static async void updatePreference(string sis_user_id, string channel_id, string notification)
{
    string requestUri = $"api/v1/users/self/communication_channels/{channel_id}/notification_preferences/confirm_sms_communication_channel?as_user_id=sis_user_id:{sis_user_id}";
    {
new KeyValuePair<string, string>("notification_preferences[frequency]", "immediately")
    });
    HttpResponseMessage response = await client.PutAsync(
        requestUri, content);
    string message = await response.Content.ReadAsStringAsync();
    Console.WriteLine(message);
    //preferences = await response.Content.ReadAsAsync<List<NotificationPreference>>();
    if (response.IsSuccessStatusCode)
    {Console.WriteLine("Success");}
    else
    {Console.WriteLine("Fail");}
}

But for confirm_sms_communication_channel i get the same result

example of error message

and even tried categories, which works for other categories such as late_grading, but it fails for the registration category

string requestUri = $"api/v1/users/self/communication_channels/{channel_id}/notification_preference_categories/registration?as_user_id=sis_user_id:{sis_user_id}";
  {
     new KeyValuePair<string, string>("notification_preferences[frequency]", "immediately")
  });

This is kind of baffling. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Outcomes