View Log Entry Question

Jump to solution
bradshawr
Community Novice

When viewing the log for a student that has completed a quiz or test, in the gradebook, what does the comment  < x Stopped viewing the Canvas quiz-taking page...>, mean exactly and what is its significance?

1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @bradshawr  Welcome to the Canvas Community!

It means that the student navigated away from that web page on their browser.  I found a more definitive explanation from  @Steve_Watts  I did not know about the 30 second rule.

If the quiz log says that the student stopped viewing the quiz then this usually means one of two things:
1. They opened a new tab in their browser and viewed a different page there.

or
2. They stayed on the quiz page but were inactive (didn't type, click or scroll anywhere on the quiz page) for 30 seconds or more. Obviously this could happen if the question has a long section of text they need to read.

The quiz log will show that they resumed the quiz at the time that they next click/type somewhere on the quiz screen.

If the final action in your quiz log shows that they stopped viewing the quiz, it's difficult to determine whether this was due to the student navigating away/closing the browser tab without submitting, or a problem with the student's browser that caused it to suddenly shut down.

I hope this is helpful,

Kelley

View solution in original post

0 Likes