Un-submitting a Submitted Quiz

Jump to solution
cwsmith4
Community Novice

Is there a way I can return a submitted quiz to a student who submitted it and allow them to continue where they left off? 

I was initially unsure if quizzes saved students progress if they did not finish during class time. To make sure they did not lose their work I had everyone submit, even if they were not finished. I am going to return the questions they did not complete to them by printing it on paper. If there was a way though I could return an unfinished quiz back to students to finish that would be great!

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @cwsmith4  Welcome to the Canvas Community. This is a great question that I had to test out once or twice as an administrator myself when a faculty member asked the same thing. Yes, this can be done...by NOT submitting the quiz, which can be counter intuitive because students fear that the questions aren't being saved, but they are indeed saved from question-to-question.  In fact, this is mentioned specifically in the online student guide here:  How do I resume a quiz that I already started taking?  Note, however, the caveats at the top regarding timed quizzes, etc.

While I have only tested this in the legacy/current version of quizzes and not New Quizzes, I'm pretty sure it would apply in New Quizzes, as well, since the online guide does not mention New Quizzes in the student guide and I can't imagine Canvas would change this.

So basically, don't let them click submit, and then can close the browser, log off, etc., and then when they head back to the quiz they'll see that Resume Quiz button the online guide illustrates.

I hope this helps, Caleb.

View solution in original post