Roll Call

Jump to solution
slitwin
Community Novice

Can the roll call feature in Canvas not only take attendance at the beginning of class, but ALSO at the end of class.

We need a system that proves the student was PRESENT for the entire class period.  We need to be able to report that the student was on-time and did not leave class early.

Does roll call allow for this?

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @slitwin  Welcome to the Canvas Community and to one of the more frustrating parts of Canvas (which is otherwise awesome learning management system!):  roll call attendance.  It is incredibly non-configurable.  The only thing you can really do it count off for tardiness, as shown here: How do I use the Roll Call Attendance tool in a course?  That actually could work, in a way, for you in that you can count a student as "tardy" if they do not attend the entire class period.  Of course, this would have to be explained to the students, since another thing one cannot change the attendance tool is the vocabulary used within it; a student will see it as "tardy" rather than "left early."

Many in the community are hopeful that things will change with this tool.  In the meantime, I encourage you to vote up and comment on this Feature Idea which--unlike most Feature Ideas--has multiple things covered within it:  https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1090-attendance-overhaul .

I hope this helps a bit, Stacy.

View solution in original post