Using quizzes with students who require extended time

Jump to solution
kirsten_poland
Community Novice

I need a work around for students who require extended time beyond 1 class period to complete a quiz.  I have not been able to figure out a way to have them start a quiz, stop at the end of the class period, save their work and lock them out of the quiz until I provide a new access code the next day to finish the quiz.

I appreciate any ideas or work arounds.

1 Solution
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi  @kirsten_poland 

@nwilson7  has a pretty good start on a work-round for you, so I will add to it.  I am guessing this is an accommodation for specific students, and you know who the are.

• Assign your quiz to everyone, with your normal due date/time, and your available from/until times. You mentioned a class period, so set your quiz up for "everyone" based on that class period,
  • Then, on the Quiz edit page, in the "Assign to" dialog box, click the "+ Add" link.
  • 326059_pastedImage_3.png
  • What you are doing is adding another set of due dates and availability dates and times for one or more students - you are "differentiating" the quiz,
  • When you click the +Add link you will be presented with a whole new Assign to dialog box and if you click in the Assign to field, you will be presented with a list of all the students in that course,
  • Select the  few student who need the extra availability,
  • Set their due date,
  • Extend the availability time out to whatever is appropriate, and click Save.

What  you are doing with this process is extending the availability for the select students, without extending it for all of your students.

This guide will help https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9973-4152101242 

Kelley

View solution in original post