Required Viewing is saying complete when they haven't viewed the module

Jump to solution
goldhardtmh
Community Explorer

We have teachers who have created modules with pages and requiring them to be viewed so that they know the teacher has completed the module section.  

However, we have had students just enroll who in gradebook show that they completed the modules, yet they did not even view them yet.  

What did we do wrong? 

[Note from the Community Team: attached image deleted to ensure student privacy]
2 Solutions
Shar
Community Champion

Hi Michael Goldhardt,

First, you will want to replace your screen shot with one that does not show student names since this community is available to the internet at large.

Next, your teachers will want to actually put in the module requirements to the items in the modules. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13134-415261967 

Without the requirements to See, Mark Done, Submit, or Contribute on the individual items, the modules will show as complete for any students.

Modules showing as complete for a student

But when I add a new module and put in some requirements via More -> Edit:

Edit the module to add requirements on items

Before a student looks at the items in the module, the teacher sees the module is unlocked:

Before a student visits any content in a module it shows as unlocked.

And if the student just looks at the first item, the teacher sees what the student has left to do to complete the module:
module progress showing un completed items

The student sees the work they have completed with a green check-mark:
Student view module progress showing completed item with checkmark

My best advice is to make the first item in the module View so that you can tell a student has at least started the first item in the module. Keep in mind View just lets us know that the web browser entered that web page; we don't know if they actually read anything on the page.

Hope this answer helps,
Cheers - Shar

View solution in original post

bratsj58
Community Participant

This was solved for me today by a great guy at Canvas Support, Will P. For anyone else who might experience this problem in the future (some students receiving Completes on locked modules), get on the horn (the chat) to Canvas Support. It apparently had to do with a caching issue related to the modules, causing the system to believe some students had already completed it. Will P. was able to clear some caching data from the accounts of the 10 students. He advised me to edit the module in question and then re-lock it. Everything is hunky-dory again, and future occurrences have also been prevented.

View solution in original post