Hello, I have a problem with the website canvas. It is not working properly, I am using this time a MacBook Pro and can't find my classes.

Jump to solution
alexis_paredesq
Community Novice

Hello, I have a problem with the website canvas. It is not working properly, I am using this time a MacBook Pro and can't find my classes.

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@alexis_paredesq ,

I see two potential issues here.

You mentioned that you're using a MacBook Pro. We have seen a lot of people in the last few months who are running older versions of the Mac OS. Canvas only supports the latest two versions of the major browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) and the latest versions of the browsers may not be available for the older operating system. Right now, here are the minimum versions of the browsers supported by Canvas.

• Canvas requires Safari version 12 or 13. Safari 12 came with Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6, released in 2016. If you're still running OS X (10.11.6 or earlier), then you cannot get Safari 12 and you'll have issues. The solution is to upgrade your operating system. Apple has a supprort page that may help Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support 
  • Canvas requires Chrome 76 or 77 (78 has been released so this will likely change to 77 or 78 soon). In 2015, Chrome announced they would not support OS X 10.6, 10.7, or 10.8. In 2018, they dropped support for OS X 10.9 and Chrome currently requires OS X Yosemite (10.10 or later).
  • Canvas requires Firefox 68 or 69 (70 has been released so this will likely change to 69 or 70 soon). Firefox supports older Mac operating systems, with Firefox 68 allowing you to going as far back as OS X Mavericks (10.9). You may be able to install Firefox in the short term as a quick fix, but there will come a time when it gives up support for the older Mac operating systems and you'll need to upgrade your operating system.

In the last couple of months, It was not uncommon to see people running Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard -- released in 2009), which is a long way from where we are now. Mac OS is currently 10.15.1 (Catalina). If you're using an older Mac OS, then you may have to upgrade to have any hope of Canvas running correctly.

The second issue is that your courses may not be available yet. This may especially be the case if a term is about to begin, or if you've ran into some issues and been dropped. A quick way to check this is to log into Canvas from a computer that has a modern browser installed and see. If they're still not there, you may need to talk to someone at your institution. If they appear on the different computer but not on your Mac, then I would check and perhaps upgrade your operation system.

Apple has a support page that explains how to check your operating system version: Find out which macOS your Mac is using. There's a link near the top of the page that explains How to update the software on your Mac.

View solution in original post