How "Grade Posting Policy" interacts with "Hide grades"

cliff_cunningha
Community Contributor

I'm still trying to sort out the behavior of the Grade Posting Policy, and how it does/doesn't interact with the Hide Grades command.

This is one point of confusion.

1. 1)  My course has two students. One is the native "Test Student", that we work with in the Student View. The other student is a dummy account that we created just to test & check stuff.
  2. I went into the gradebook, found an assignment, and set the Grade Posting Policy for that assignment to "Manually".
  3. I then entered grades for both students in the gradebook for that assignment. (Note: I have not yet selected "Hide" grades.)

Question: What is supposed to happen with those two newly-entered grades? (Reminder: The GPP is set to "Manually", but the grades are not "hidden".) As of now, I am getting different behavior for both the Test Student and the dummy student.

1. When I go into Student View... then to Grades... Canvas displays the eyeball-with-a-slash-through-it icon.
  2. When I go into my dummy student account... Canvas displays the actual grade.

Which one is correct?

Thx, Cj