Removing an assignment from the grades section

Jump to solution
iordan_p_iotov
Community Novice

I decided that I will excuse the students from my Mid-Term, but now the final grades are showing over 100% because there wasn't a grade for the Mid-term. How can I fixed the skewed grade % so it excludes the Mid-term?

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @iordan_p_iotov  Welcome to the Canvas Community.  You said there wasn't a grade for the mid-term, but I assume that you input grades which are causing the grades, therefore, to be thrown off.  There's a few things you can do to remedy this.

You can re-edit the assignment and enable the checkbox to not count the grade at all.  This will keep the scores intact in the gradebook if you wanted them for whatever reason, but--as the wording of the checkbox indicates--will not count the assignment at all.  This is covered here:  How do I exclude an assignment from the course's final grades?  

Secondly, you can simply type in a grade of EX for each student, which means "excused."  This keeps the assignment intact should you want it for future courses, excuses the student from the assingment....counting neither for nor against.  This will work in both the current/legacy gradebook and the New Gradebook, if you're using it.  Here are the directions for the legacy gradebook: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12938-4152386299 

And finally, you can just plain old DELETE the assignment altogether.  Obviously, this will...well, delete the assignment, so don't plan on using it again in a future version of this course, but it will indeed remove it from the gradebook since it will cease to exist.

I hope some of these suggestions are useful, Jordan.

View solution in original post