Is there a possibility that when a new person joins a group after an assignment has been submitted that Canvas would override the submission?

Jump to solution
ljay1
Community Novice

I submitted a group project last night before the assigned due date which was at midnight. I woke up this morning to find that another person in the class had chosen to join our group (uninvited) right before the due date of the project (most likely expecting to be counted as a member of the group and be given the grade). I also found that the document that I had submitted the night before was no longer there.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help me!

-An anxious student during Finals week

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @ljay1  Welcome to the Canvas Community. You will definitely want to reach out to your instructor about this, but speaking as a Canvas administrator at my own institution I can assure you that the assignment has not been replaced.  While to your eyes as a student the assignment is seemingly over-written, the instructor will have access to all previous submissions from the group.  To be sure, with a group assignment s/he cannot tell who submitted it, but the instructor can always see all submissions.  The ability to view previous submissions is specifically mentioned here in the instructor's online guide: How do I view the details of a submission for a student in SpeedGrader? under the Evaluate Multiple Submissions heading.   While that documentation is written from the perspective of a regular (non-group) assignment, the same information applies.

I hope this helps calm a bit of your anxiety during finals week, Liam! Your next job, however, is to contact your instructor.

Good luck with things!

View solution in original post