I'm new to Canvas. I'm grading exams using Speed Grader, and I want to grade everyone's question 1 answer first, then question 2, etc. When do the comments and numbers I put in become visible to the student, and when do they get carved in stone?

Jump to solution
ruseted
Community Explorer

I'm new to Canvas. I'm grading exams using Speed Grader, and I want to grade everyone's question 1 answer first, then question 2, etc. When do the comments and numbers I put in become visible to the student, and when do they get carved in stone?

1 Solution
distance_ed1
Community Contributor

Hi Robert! Welcome to the Community!

By default, grades are available to students as soon as you input them, but you can change the settings for the assignment within the gradebook to prevent students from seeing their scores as you grade each question!

If you're using the current gradebook, you'll want to mute the assignment before you start grading. Check out this tutorial for exact instructions: How do I mute or unmute an assignment in the Gradebook?

If you're using the New Gradebook, you'll want to set a Manual Post Policy for the assignment before you start grading. Check out this tutorial for exact instructions: How do I select a grade posting policy for an assignment in the New Gradebook? When you're ready to release grades, follow these instructions: How do I post grades for an assignment in the New Gradebook?

As far as 'carved in stone' goes, you can always go back and alter a grade later! Let us know if you've got more specific questions about this!

All the best,
Danielle

View solution in original post