Comment Tools Missing

Jump to solution
tcomer
Community Novice

In Speedgrader, on some assignments, the comment tools will not appear; this seems to happen one out of every 20-30 uploaded assignments-- I can't find a way to remedy this.

0 Likes
1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @tcomer  Welcome to the Canvas Community! A few things to know about the DocViewer (as it's called) in SpeedGrader.  One is that annotation is not possible with text entry assignments.  So, if you enabled both the online submission and the text entry checkboxes when creating your assignment, those students who chose to use text entry would not have the annotation tools available for you.

Also, according to this specific online guide (How do I add annotated comments in student submissions using DocViewer in SpeedGrader? ), note that it states in the blue area at the top "SpeedGrader may take up to ten minutes after an assignment is submitted to display a file that supports DocViewer."  So the advice I give to my own faculty members when this occurs is to simply wait a bit, do something else, and come back!

If you find that it is happening very consistently, however, first just double-check that your browser is up to date, and then it may be time to report it to Canvas Support (Help>>Report a Problem).  But also check that the files submitted are fully compatible, as well...which are also noted in that first link, above.  The bottom line, however, is that it will usually resolve itself before too long.

I hope this helps a bit, Thomas.

View solution in original post

0 Likes