Submitting final grades to Registrar

Jump to solution
cprotogerou
Community Member

Hello!

I am ready to submit my course grades to the Registrar's Office but I am seeing discrepancies between the grades in the grade book and those in the "Fall 2019 Grade Submission - Final" section.

For example, Maria has a total grade C in the grade book:
332665_pastedImage_4.png
However, a total grade B appears in the Fall 2019 Grade Submission - Final section:
332664_pastedImage_3.png
Her grade should be the one in the grade book (C).
Does anyone know why I am seeing this discrepancy? All grades are discrepant! Should I manually insert the correct grade in the "optional grade override" box?
Many thanks!
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Cleo,

The process to import grades from Canvas in your Student Information System is possibly custom to your school; so I can only give some guesses.  For reference try exporting your gradebook to a .CSV file (From grades choose Actions, Export).  At the far right of the file you'll see several scores related to Current or Final score or grade.

332666_pastedImage_1.png

My guess is that the Current Score and Current Grade are what you are expecting and seeing in the Canvas Gradebook, but the Final Score and/or Final Grade are what you are seeing to be imported into the SIS.  The different in grades is that Canvas is filling in 0s for all assignments that are missing and not marked as excused.  I can't say that is for sure what is happening with yours because usually this means a lower grade submitted to the SIS, but looking at the .csv might give you more clues.  I've argued with Canvas about this Final Grade column for at least 7 years and how it should match what the teacher sees in the Gradebook.  At my schools we've developed our own process to import grades into the SIS and purposely pull the Current Grade instead of Final Grade because that is what the teacher is seeing.

Sorry, that was a long answer and maybe not complete either.  The fact that there is an Eye next to the final grade also indicates that something is not being considered in the calculations; perhaps because some assignments haven't been posted.  Again, posted vs unposted grades affect the Current Grade differently than the Final Grade, so you probably need to post everything to have what you see match what goes to the SIS.

Rick

View solution in original post