How to uplaod Readonly File on Canvas?

Jump to solution
jagat_shah
Community Member

Hi,

I am a new instructor with canvas and just started a new semester. I want to share Instructor's material slides with students in canvas, but its publisher's proprietary material and there are clear instructions from the publisher to not share the material with anyone where they can download and distribute.  How can I share the information on canvas where its read only permission where students can review it but can not download the material and share on another web page?

Thanks in advance.

Jagat Shah

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @jagat_shah ‌ - There is not a way to do this on Canvas.   @scottdennis ‌ gives the best explanation of why this is not possible here: How can I make my pdf files in a module non-downloadable, so that my students can read it, but canno...  You can also read some of the comments (and the Instructure response) that were posted in this older, archived Feature Idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1732-make-a-file-read-only-but-not-downloadable-in-canvas .

You might want to circle back to the publisher and note that your course is (I assume) open only to registered students and is not otherwise accessible to the public.  Most publishers are well aware of what learning management systems can or cannot do.  It's also possible that the publisher intends for these to only be used by instructors and NOT for distribution of any kind, including on an LMS.

Hope this helps a bit, Jagat, even if it's not the answer you're looking for!

View solution in original post