Why is box for multiple choice options so small?

Jump to solution
fuhrmann
Community Member

Can the designers please expand the boxes for constructing answer options (e.g., on multiple choice questions) so that one can see the entire answer written with having to click and scroll?  (see image)  Sometimes it seems like the Canvas developers have never been in the real world of making and grading exams.  PLEASE make it more user friendly.

1 Solution
kblack
Community Champion

Hi  @fuhrmann  - While I cannot help with the "why" part of your question, I can tell you that the solution is clicking the pencil icon to the right of each multiple choice answer choice, which I don't see on your screen capture but which should be there, as illustrated here: How do I create a Multiple Choice quiz question? under the Create Answers with Rich Content Editor heading on that page.  (It's right next to the trash can icon to remove a choice.)  As that page mentions, clicking the pencil icon allows one to use the rich content editor and a much, much bigger screen so that you do not have to always scroll back and forth.

Also, just so you are aware, Canvas is no longer deploying fixes or improvements to the current quiz engine, placing all resources on further development of the new quiz engine, called New Quizzes.  I do not have any experience with New Quizzes, though judging from the screen captures in the online lessons, it appears the default text box is a bit bigger, but here one can also use the rich content editor, as explained here:  How do I create a Multiple Choice question in New Quizzes? 

Hope this helps a bit, Jeff.

View solution in original post