Does the Update Scores button in Speedgrader affect the whole class?

Jump to solution
hterrill
Community Novice

I have a question about the "Update Scores" button and how it works with tests using a testbank...

had a test using a test bank that turned out to have some errors in it, plus some text entry answers that weren't "correct" but were close, so I wanted to add a point or two to some students' grades.  I went through each student test individually using speed grader, and put the adjusted points into the point box on each question.  At the end, I would click "Update Scores" thinking I was updating the score for that student.  Near the end of the 4th class - 20+ students per class - I noticed that some questions had the point values changed, even though I hadn't started grading...for example, a correct answer had 0 points.  An incorrect answer had 3 points...

Another teacher told me that the "Update points" button updates the point values for ALL students who answered that question from the testbank.  Which leads to my question:

Does the "Update Scores" button in Speedgrader update scores for all students who answered that question?  And if so, how do I use speed grader to grade tests individually? 

I was told that to correct a score, I would have to add fudge points.  To me, fudge points would be if I want to adjust the grade for every student, not correct the score of one student.  I would like to be able to change the score in the question box so I don't have to worry about remembering how many points were added/subtracted at the end.  I REALLY don't want changes made to one student's test applying to all students...

Would also be very helpful if there is a warning when a change will affect more than the one student whose assignment I'm viewing...one that would stay up long enough that I can see it.

0 Likes
1 Solution
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@hterrill , greetings! If you were in Speedgrader and clicked the blue "Update Scores" button, that should only update the score for that specific student. I've used this button a lot and have never experienced it changing everyone's grade, just the student whose score I was adjusting. To double-check, I just tested this and it seems to be working as intended - so only changing the student whose grade I was working on. 

Yet, if you edit the quiz, go to one of the questions, change the correct answer, it will give you the option of how you want this to impact quiz scores - Ex: give everyone full credit for this question, give everyone credit for the initial correct answer and the new correct answer, etc. So in this case, it would potentially impact everyone's grade.

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post

0 Likes