AnsweredAssumed Answered

Plans for Open-Sourcing New Quizzes?

Question asked by Graham Ballantyne on Mar 12, 2020
Latest reply on May 5, 2020 by Erin Hallmark

Shaun Moon - I read your post (New Quizzes to replace Classic Quizzes July 2021) about the upcoming deprecation of Classic Quizzes. What is Instructure's timeline for open-sourcing New Quizzes so it can be used with on-premise open-source Canvas Installations?

I'm the technical lead for Canvas at Simon Fraser University – one of, if not the, largest higher-education open-source Canvas installations in the world – and found the lack of any mention in your post of open-sourcing New Quizzes quite troubling. Every time I've brought up the subject of New Quizzes and open-source Canvas with Instructure employees, including those in senior leadership positions, I've been told that the intent has always been to open-source New Quizzes so that self-hosted schools can use it in their environments. Understandably, no one would commit to a timeline, but I was told by multiple people in no uncertain words that it would be released.

I'm hoping that the lack of mention of open-sourcing the New Quizzes tool is simply an oversight or intentional absence due to the audience of the blog post, most of whom open-source are Instructure-hosted – they wouldn't necessarily care about your plans for open-sourcing New Quizzes. However, as a large institution that uses open-source Canvas, the removal of Classic Quizzes without anything to replace it would be a nightmare.

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers,
Graham.

Outcomes