Why did all my work I was writing in a discussion post disappear in the middle of writing it?

Jump to solution
hartleek
Community Novice

Hi! I was writing a discussion post and pressed something (a specific key or keys I guess) by accident and all of my discussion was deleted. This is really frustrating, as I had to remember what I typed and redo the whole thing. This has actually happened before in the past, and was wondering what button am I pressing that is making this happen, and why is it even an option to do in the first place? I tried hitting the undo key and recovering all the material but, nothing worked. Why did all my work vanish? Thank you:)

0 Likes
1 Solution
jwadec
Community Contributor

Hi,  @hartleek ‌ and welcome to the Canvas community! 

First of all, I'm so sorry that this happened to you! I answered a similar question about this last night.

I do not believe there will be a way to retrieve this information. I highly recommend that you type up future discussion board responses in word and then copy/paste. That way if anything does happen, your original will be safe. 

There is some good news moving forward -- the folks at Canvas just released a new feature that automatically saves text editor work up to an hour but your school would have needed to have this feature turned on and from the sound of it -- it might not have been turned on at your school. The good news is every school will get this update added by July 2020.

From My Discussion Board Response is Gone! 

As for the keyboard key that is causing this, it is likely the F5 key. That one usually serves as a refresh key.

View solution in original post