AnsweredAssumed Answered

Allow students to download assignments

Question asked by Adam J. Bock on Apr 14, 2020
Latest reply on May 20, 2020 by Renee Carney

I want to use a journaling function in a course. I am quite aware that Instructure has purposefully dropped the ball on this, arguing that instructors should just use third-party solutions. This is, of course, patently stupid (but normal for LMS companies), but that's beside the point.

I have created a simple journaling mechanism by creating graded surveys throughout the course. Students are expected to write a short paragraph reflecting on topics, including what they find interesting/useful and/or might use in the future. Their entries will receive full credit (graded survey). The TA and I will spot-check these just to make sure students are making a reasonable effort. 

What I would like is a way for students to access (and preferably) download all their submissions to take with them when the course is over.

Screenshots of each submission are too cumbersome-- students won't bother.

Is there an easy way to do this, whether for graded surveys or any other submission type? 

I could have students make multiple posts to a Google doc (for example). But this is inelegant, because it makes spot-checking time-consuming, and inevitably generates sharing problems for some students at the start of the course. It also has the disadvantage that the Canvas submission time-stamp may or may not reflect when the work was completed. 

Outcomes