Files only download as HTML login page

Jump to solution
wboyce
Community Novice

I'm trying to download files for grading, but they won't download as normal Microsoft Word documents as they normally do. They download as html files that take me to a login when I try to open them. This is the first time this has happened and this generally works without a problem.

4 Solutions
mtria
Community Member

hi, I've had the same problem and infuriatingly, I fixed it once before but have forgotten how to do it. On safari one workaround that I have found is right clicking the file name and then clicking Download Linked file.

Not a fix but way better than switching browsers

View solution in original post

0 Likes
suzbyrd
Community Novice

Can anyone share the workaround for this?  I am using safari as well.

0 Likes
nriver5714
Community Novice

I think I found the best workaround for this issue on Safari. All you have to do is click on the download link while holding down the command key. This will open the download link in a new tab, which downloads the file normally.

If this doesn't work, you can right click on the link or click on the link while holding down the control key, and then select "Open Link in New Tab" from the menu.

bradenboss
Community Member

I recently ran into this problem, and I believe the problem is with Canvas as I had the issue occur in both Safari and Chrome. For me, it was with MP3 files. It seems like Canvas converts the "media file" into an iframe tag, forcing the browser to open it in a separate tab as a video. What worked for me is the following:

1. Upload file into the "Files" folder
  2. Once uploaded, right click and choose "Copy Link" 
  3. Then go to your where you're linking to the file (page/assignment/etc.), highlight the text, click the "Add Link" button, then paste the copied link to the file.

This will then download the desired file rather than open up a separate window to view it or download a HTML document.

0 Likes