Time extensions require extended quiz duration for everyone?

Jump to solution
ppozca
Community Explorer

Hi folks, I've looked around for someone asking about this specific issue but haven't seen it:

When I provide extra time for a student (for ability-related accommodations), Canvas requires that the quiz remain available for that additional time. This means that students who "arrive" late, can take the full duration of the exam as long as it submitted before the extended availability time. I don't like this.

A concrete example: I am giving a quiz at 10 am that students have 1 hour to complete. Normally, I would set the duration to 60 minutes and set the Available from/Until times to 10 am - 11 am. However, if I have a student who receives 100% additional time, then in order for the personal extension (created via Moderate) to be allowed, I need to extend the quiz Available Until time to 12 pm. BUT (and here is my issue), this means that *any* student can start the exam late (e.g., at 11 am) and still have the full 60 minutes to complete the exam. What I would like is for only the 1 student (or more depending on number of students with accommodations) to be able to have extra time for the exam, but not allow late starters to have the full time.

I know this may seem fairly idiosyncratic, but I suspect others have been in this predicament?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
bneporadny
Community Champion

Hi Alex,

I can think of two ways to accomplish this within Canvas. 

1.  Use the moderate quiz‌ option (Once I publish a quiz, how can I give my students extra attempts?)
  2. Within the quiz settings you can assign to the quiz to everyone or particular students's. So you can assign the quiz to everyone in the course but the student(s) who get extra time and then assign the quiz to that student(s) with the additional time allotted.  (How do I assign a quiz to an individual student? ).

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes