Creating dynamic quizzes with Quizzes.next question banks
Some of the design decisions in Canvas are absolutely befuddling. Here is a case-in-point:
I want to create dynamic quizzes with questions drawn randomly from several question banks. This allows students who take the quiz multiple times to get a different quiz covering the same concepts.
The existing workflow to do this is to:
- Create question banks for each concept.
- Add questions to the question bank... what? I can't do that directly? Add a question to a quiz.
- Add the newly created question to the question bank.
- Delete the newly created question from the quiz. (What!?)
- Repeat steps 2-4 for each question.
- Go to question bank
- Add all questions to the quiz (there is no option to select the number of questions from here)
- Change the settings on the question set to randomly select questions and set the number (I usually select a third of the questions to ensure a good variety between quiz attempts).
- Repeat steps 2-8 for each concept.
- Remember how much easier this was in your previous LMS.
Is this really the only way to do this in Canvas? What am I missing? Why in the world can you not create questions inside the bank? Why do you have to add the questions to a quiz only to delete it immediately after?