Accessing data from multiple domains

Jump to solution
5nstewart23
Community Member

Is it possible to access data from multiple domains using the API? I have an app that could be used by any Canvas user, and I want to allow users to type in their domain - school.instructure.com, school2.instructure.com, etc. and then I can use Oauth2 to authenticate and then pull data for that user using the API. Since I can't get a developer key from every user's domain to use in the Oauth2 process, can I use the developer key issued by my domain, or is there a universal key that I need to be using instead?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

You cannot use a key from your domain to work with other instances. That would be a huge security flaw.

Please check out Developer Keys - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation . The second paragraph answers your question and mentions a global developer key.

Developer keys created in a root account, by root account administrators or Instructure employees, are only functional for the account they are created in and its sub-accounts. Developer keys created globally, by an Instructure employee, are functional in any Canvas account where they are enabled.

View solution in original post

0 Likes