Embedding or ?

Jump to solution
peggya_taylor
Community Novice

Is there a way to embedd multiple videos on one module assignment.  For example, I have a Google Slide Presentation and would like to put it in an assignment under a Module.  Each slide in the module has at least one video clip linked.

How to do this so students can view (usually I have to embedd videos). Wondering if there is a shorter way rather than embedding each video individually?

1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@peggya_taylor  

You can embed multiple videos into a single assignment, but you will have to embed each one separately.

You can create multiple module items that link to assignments.

You cannot create a module item that links to more than one location (assignment, external URL, content page, quiz, ...).

If you want multiple videos from a single link, then you will need to create a content holder for those videos and then create a module item that takes you to the place where the videos are embedded.

I used the phrase content holder rather than assignment in the last paragraph because it doesn't have to be an assignment. I typically create a content page to hold videos unless students are required to actually submit something. Content pages can be added to the To Do list.

For assignments that have lots of instructions or multiple videos, I still create a separate content page that they have to watch before the submission. For example, I had a "Tableau Correlation Project" assignment last semester that had seven videos. I made a separate "Videos for the Tableau Correlation Project" content page and linked to it from the "Tableau Correlation Project" assignment. The assignment where the students actually submitted their project didn't have very much text on it at all as it needed done before they got to that part of the project.

Some of my reasons for separating content from submission my be resolved when new assignments comes out, but there was too much information on the page when I tried to put the content in the assignment itself.

I don't know if tracking whether students watch content is an issue for you or not. It is for me -- I get a lot of students who say that they don't understand the assignment. When I pull up the tracking information, I can see that they didn't read the instructions or watch the videos I made that explain things. 

Note that embedding the videos into a separate document will prevent you from knowing if students have watched the individual videos. Canvas will show (in the Access Report) that the student opened the page, but Canvas does not track external links or individual embeds on the page unless the content is linked from the Canvas file system (highly not recommended).

Another option is to use a program like Canvas Studio that tells you which students watched what parts of each video. Even with Canvas Studio, there is no way to know whether students engaged with the videos or let them play in the background unless you put in a video quiz. Even then students can redo the video quiz as often as they like and get the highest score, so they can still make it past this without having watched the videos. Video Quizzes within Canvas Studio require that you create an assignment to hold the quiz. With these, there can only be one quiz per assignment because the entire assignment is the video quiz.

View solution in original post