Math exams showing work

Jump to solution
phicks
Community Novice

How can students show their work for math questions if using the canvas system for online math exams? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@phicks  

Here are some of the things I've done.

You can have the students enter their work into an essay question where they will have access to the equation editor. I have used this for smaller daily homework assignments in a college algebra class. These were homework problems that they were supposed to have already ready worked out. I gave them 10 problems I might pick from and then I asked for 5 of those, but they didn't know which 5 until they actually got the quiz (it was in a question group so different students got different questions).

You can have the students scan their work with a cell phone or scanner and submit it to an separate assignment (or a file upload within the quiz -- harder and more difficult for the teacher to use). I have used this for "hour-long" exams in calculus, differential equations, and finite mathematics. I give them a little extra time for the technical side. I had a 70 minute class, but gave them 90 minutes to download, print, complete, scan, and upload the exam. I would have let them stay 10 minutes late in class anyway, so it wasn't that much of an extension.

View solution in original post

0 Likes