Edited Quiz Questions - Question Bank?

Jump to solution
allison_russell
Community Explorer

I recently edited several questions from individual quizzes to update their question type (basically, from essay to other, automatically-gradable types), and point values. I then changed the name of the quiz to make it easier to find. Where are the questions that I edited housed in the Question Bank? The quizzes with the new names do not appear in the Question Bank, and the updated questions are also not there.

0 Likes
1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Allison,

If you edit a question directly in a Quiz it is not tied to a question bank, so you won't see those changes there.  When you create a new question in a Canvas quiz it creates a copy of it in a question bank named "unfiled questions", but it is a copy so future edits don't get applied to both places.  

If you have your quiz use question groups and link to a question bank, then when you edit the question in a question bank it will also provide the new version to students as they take the quiz.

A quick trick if you want to get your current quiz with the new, edited questions turned into a question bank is as follows:

• In the course go Settings, Export course content
  • Select Quiz and then select the quiz you want to export and download it
  • In the course go to Settings, Import Course Content
  • Select the option for QTI Quiz, select the export file you downloaded and proceed to import it.

When you import a quiz like this it creates both a Quiz AND a question bank.  You might not need the quiz so feel free to delete it, but the question bank should now exist with questions from the quiz you exported.

Rick

View solution in original post