Matthew Libera

<object> tag in quiz question breaks Submit Quiz button

Discussion created by Matthew Libera on Sep 14, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 by awilliams

Hello fellow Canvas-ers,

Just wanted to share something I discovered while troubleshooting today.  Usually when a ticket comes to us and a user says "I can't submit the quiz," I'm usually drawn to the typical "clear your cache," "try a different browser," etc. solutions.  But today while double-checking such a claim, I found that the same was happening to me.

Long story short - if a quiz question has an <object> tag in it, the Submit Quiz button ceases to function!  At least it does for me in Firefox, Safari, and Chrome on my Mac.

To reproduce:

1) Add a new question to a quiz (I used Multiple Choice)

2) In the quiz question text, toggle on the HTML editor and paste in: <p><object width="300" height="150"></object></p> - you can add more text if you want.

3) Finish creating the question as you normally would.

4) Save the quiz

5) Preview the quiz - even after selecting an answer to light up the Submit Quiz button, clicking it does nothing.

I've submitted a ticket already, but I thought I'd post here too, in case anyone else comes across this phenomenon and can't figure out what's going on.  I don't know how the <object> tag gets put into questions in the first place, but I think the quiz I encountered today was created using Respondus...

Outcomes