Can you uses the Insert Math Equation on answers on a Quiz

Jump to solution
kim_halbrook
Community Member

I'm trying to make a Quiz in Classic Quizzes that is Fill in Multiple Blanks and have some answers that include exponents. Is there a way to use the math equation tool on answers for this type of question?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@kim_halbrook  

The Rich Content Editor is not available for fill in the blank questions. Classic Quizzes is set to be phased out and is no longer being developed so it will not happen there. There is a feature idea available for New Quizzes to add this functionality:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3791-new-quizzes-allow-rich-content-editing-for-fill-in-the-bl... 

In some cases, you may be able to have students enter an ASCII-Math type answer using the carat key: x^2

In some cases, you can use Unicode (I wouldn't expect a student to know how to do this). x² (On a windows machine, you hold down the alternate key while typing 0178 on the numeric keypad), but that only works for 2 and 3, others would need copy/pasted.

You can make it multiple choice (yes, I cringed writing it as much as you did reading it).

Using an essay question is one way to get students to enter content and even use the equation editor, but Canvas does not automatically grade those.

View solution in original post