Where can I view file ID numbers?

Jump to solution
davidh1
Community Participant

When a file or image is embedded in a page, the html contains the file ID number so the page renders correctly. Since I am skilled enough with html, it would be simple for me to replace one image with another image if I just knew the ID number of the image. But when I look in the Files section, no IDs are to be found (or at least I cannot find them). Is there any way to reveal them?

The main reason for this is that a few of my pages use divs to create a responsive structure. If I could just replace an image in RCE without breaking that structure, then I wouldn't need the code. But there seems to be no way of doing this from the menu.

My workaround has been to create a blank line in html, then embed the new image in RCE, then go back to html and copy the relevant code (and change the alt text, etc). But that is a lot of extra work just to get the file ID number.

Any help?

#embed #image #html

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @davidh1 ...

When you are in your course "Files" and hover your mouse cursor over a file name, look at the bottom of your browser window.  You should see a URL for that specific file.  For example, it might look something like this:

https://SchoolName.instructure.com/files/1234567/download?download_frd=1

I believe that "1234567" (or whatever number it is for you) is the File ID number you are looking for.

I hope this will help in some way, David.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post