Simplifying for a newbie

Jump to solution
Community Novice

I am a beginning Canvas user who is teaching 3rd grade math and science.  I want to create a page where parents can click on a math button and to see math assignments(modules) and a science button to see science assignments.

Is there a way to link the math and science courses to my homepage so they will be easy to find?

Is it better to simply place both math and science assignments into modules and just label them math unit 1 ...  science, big idea 1 ?

Thanks,

Sandi

0 Likes
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Sandra -

Welcome!

I think this is completely up to you. Both options would work. It's great that you're asking these questions before building!

If you create multiple courses, make sure all of your users are enrolled in all of the courses. Once your observers are linked to the correct student, all of their enrollments will "follow" them, so that part is easy. You're right too - with this, you can create buttons by using an image, clicking to highlight it, then press CTRL+K. In that window, you can paste in the URL to that additional course. Students will be rerouted there because their enrollment is active. It's pretty slick.

With this set-up, it's nice to be able to see the different grades/progress in each specific content...and it allows you to use weighted grades based on assignment groups rather than having everything all bundled together. If you know that you're going to have a lot of content, it also allows you to really use modules to your benefit and keep things tidy.

Remind students to keep all of the courses favorited so the items stay on their calendar. Items will be color-coded by course, which would be really helpful to your students too! It will also help your families see that "oh hey, you have a math project due next week. What do we need to do to stay ahead of that?"

From any home page, you can use the Content Selector (the menu that pops up on the right when you're editing anything with the Rich Content Editor) to jump to a specific module. That helps students a lot. It will direct them to the top of the module. That way, the button could feature the location/topic/unit they need to visit, and they can see the outline! No need to scroll through a bunch of modules.

Bonus idea: Use emojis to draw attention to items that are "now". The Windows Button + .   does a lot of neat things. Smiley Happy

View solution in original post