AnsweredAssumed Answered

Make it easy for tired teachers: Default setting to allow attachments

Question asked by Cherie Dargan on Sep 20, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 by Stefanie Sanders

I am teaching three sections of Composition 2: two online and one face to face, but with all three using Canvas extensively. Students just wrote their first essay, which they were to attach to a discussion board that i set up for the four groups in each class. To my surprise, one of my students emailed to let me know that he was not able to find the paperclip to attach his file.

I could see it and could not imagine what was going on. I did some trouble shooting and after another student said he/she could not attach files, I set up a whole new set of four boards in three classes, thinking that the problem was that I had set up Groups and actually assigned people to boards, which then created a whole new strange place.....

In other words, I was freaked out! I have taught online for ten years. We have done this project on several platforms and never before have I had to worry about whether or not students could attach a document.

When I did a chat session and learned that there was a setting back in the global course settings, I about snapped. I cannot think of any class where you would not want to attach a docment!

Please make it the default.

Professor Cherie Dargan

Hawkeye Community College, Waterloo IA

Outcomes